Tuesday, February 9, 2010

Radical

Radical, radically saved, radical Christian, just plain radical. I think all Christians do have a desire to be titled as "radical" for Christ, we want to have that really amazing testimony, or be the person who drops everything and goes on a mission, or just talks about Jesus without being concerned with the world.


We all say or at least feel that way on some level, you hear a story about these things happening and you just think to yourself "I wish I had a radical story like that". The truth is we all have a radical story to tell, the story of the cross is pretty radical in my mind, I mean how many people can say that someone died for them, that someone really loves them that much. The truth is we can all say that someone died for us and that He really does love us that much, some people just don't know the one that died for them yet (it’s our job to tell them). We all (myself included) just get so wrapped up in the fact that someone might think we are weird or at the very worst yell and curse at us, here in America it doesn't get much more brutal than that. I think that there are a lot of guys in the bible, like all the apostles maybe, that would have much preferred this type of persecution to the physical beatings and eventual death they incurred. I don't believe any of them would however, trade their life-long persecution for one second of our idle comfort.


What is it to get radically saved anyways? Does it really make your salvation any more meaningful, important, or valuable if you have a story of how you used to be a murderer, a prostitute, and a drug addict and one day God intervened and you've never been the same since? Although we as people might define this story as more interesting or dramatic than one of the young boy who grew up in suburbia and went to church with a friend for a few months and then came to accept Jesus into his heart. I actually think the story of the young boy is a more difficult path to walk on to salvation, he was comfortable, by the world's standards he didn't need to be saved or rescued from anything so his decision to follow Jesus when he is not in any particular state of need is a pretty radical one. The drug dealing, murdering, prostitute on the other hand is likely in some pretty terrible situations everyday that definitely require salvation and rescue. I am not discounting either story, I would argue that EVERY testimony is equally amazing in God's eyes, and in mine, I think every time a sinner is saved is a radical event. He just wants us to love Him in return, you don't get any extra credit based on the way you came to know Him. Remember that no matter what your testimony sounds like to you, no matter how 'boring' you think it is, there are people all over dying to hear the good news in your testimony.


Or maybe you fall into the category of ministry envy; ministry envy is pretty much exactly what it sounds like, you hear about some amazing ministry where people are being led to the Lord daily and wish you could do something that “radical”. Maybe the ministry involves going to a crazy country or hanging out with the murderers and prostitutes of the world and you tell yourself you really wish you had some amazing God stories to tell. These are really amazing stories but the most important thing is that these people aren't doing anything through their own strength or intuition they just obey God and allow the Holy Spirit to move in power through them. You have probably noticed that these people don't brag about how amazing they are and how they personally brought 100 people to the Lord; you probably hear things about how wonderful God is, how He always provides, how He has such power, and how He has blessed them. We can have this too, you have to actually do something though, you can't just sit back and wait for God to drop a ministry in your lap. You can start by just telling people about Him, seeking to hear His voice, and obeying when He gives you direction.


I used to be the person who wished that I had a radical salvation story to tell, then I realized I do, you don't know how lost you ever really were until you have been found. I'm still discovering more and more every day the ways that God has rescued me and changed me.


I used to be the person who wanted to go on a crazy mission trip to a crazy country and come back with awesome stories about how people were healed and saved. I still desire those things but I desire them because it is what God has called me to do not because I want the glory of everyone saying what an awesome Christian I am to do such radical things for Christ.


We all have the choice to be radical and live like Christ, I promise you if you just start obeying Him and letting the Holy Spirit work through you, you will see radical things happen all around you. You just have to overcome the fear of people thinking you are crazy or just plain stupid, the truth is that if you want to be radical then people are going to thing you are crazy and stupid and to them you will be (1 Corinthians 1:25).


Don't wish you were radical, realize that you ARE radical and start living it!


In Christ's Love,
Reed Eden

No comments:

Post a Comment