Sunday, February 14, 2010

Retirement = Death

I know the title sounds a little crazy, "Retirement equals Death", I honestly believe it does though and my goal is never going to be to die so therefore my goal is to never retire. I think retirement is for the world because the world gets tired of what they do, no matter what your passion is in this world you almost never meet someone who says "I want to work until I die".


I know I want to work until I die, although I wouldn't call it work. I think serving in ministry in God's Kingdom and worshiping Him is an honor and it's something I don't ever want to stop doing. I know that the actual work I do in the Kingdom will probably change over the span of my lifetime but I don't ever want to cease worshiping Him and sharing His love with the world. I honestly believe that's why our life expectancy has gone down; in the Bible God's people were living to be well past 100 years old yet today that is a rarity. God doesn't call us to lead a certain number of people to Him, or serve for a predetermined number of years and then we are allowed to buy a beach home and just sit on the front porch in a rocking chair all day because we have reached our quota. I will reach my goal when He see's fit to call me home to be in His presence forever, until then I am never going to just quit.


Even before I was walking with the Lord I used to think about the concept of what we are really doing, what we are really accomplishing, every day at work. What exactly will it matter 100 years from now what silly database I maintained or how many evaluations I wrote, it used to drive me crazy; I knew even then that I was destined to do something with so much more impact. I love the Navy and I couldn't wait to get back to it full time, I think mainly because I felt like at least my seemingly meaningless work was contributing to my nation and therefore garnered some meaning and importance. God has a much higher calling on all of our lives than to just live in a 9-5 routine that pays the bills and little else. There is a place for business in God's Kingdom, the difference is are you called to be in the marketplace, and if you are, are you called to be in the market you are in?


I don't ever want to live just to make enough money to retire, I want to love what I am doing because I know that God called me to do it. I want to know that what I am called to do will have eternal impact because I was called to do it by God and He is eternal. Once you find that thing, once you seek for God to reveal to you what He has called you to do, you won't ever be able to settle for the world's definition of successful ever again. Keep pressing into Him until you find it and once you find whatever it is, keep seeking His direction and  be flexible to change in faith as He asks you to.


I'm never going to retire! I will worship and serve my King, the King of all kings, for all of eternity!


In Christ's Love,
Reed Eden

No comments:

Post a Comment